The Angstageddon! It's coming!

Once upon a time there were no tampons in three out of the four girls' bathrooms. We complained to the front office. Now there are magical tampon bowls. We are the tampon heroes of our elitist prep school. And how fine it is!

Friday, March 26, 2010

Hey Allen Ginsberg Where Have You Gone and What Would You Think of My Drugs?


From moustache blog to poetry blog. Sorry, my B.

Anyway, I have a lifelong mission to write "The Ultimate Jew Poem" which is basically the poem that best expresses the complications, subtleties, beauty, and sheer oddness of being a Jewish-y, Atheist-y thing.

And I believe this lady has accomplished that. Rachel Zucker, take it away.
" I am here because of this.
Because of what my ancestors did for me to tell this
story of the outstretched hand what it did for me this
marked door and behind this red-marked door, around
a corner a blue-eyed boy waits to love me up with his 
leavened bread, his slim body, professional detachment, 
medical advancements, forgive me my father's mother's
father was the last in a long line of Rabbis—again! with this? This
rhapsody of affliction and escape, the mind bobbing along
in its watery safe. Be like everyone. Else. Indistinguishable but
better than the other nations but that's what got us into this, Allen,
no one writes these long-ass poems anymore.  Now we're
better, all better.  All Christian.  Kind."

Also, as a side note: "Queer Jews: Putting the 'Men' Back in Menorah"

2 comments: